Patchwork [GIT,PULL] Renesas ARM64 Based SoC Defconfig Updates for v4.21

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Simon Horman
Date Dec. 6, 2018, 9:57 p.m.
Message ID <cover.1544126077.git.horms+renesas@verge.net.au>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/674603/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git tags/renesas-arm64-defconfig-for-v4.21

Comments

Simon Horman - Dec. 6, 2018, 9:57 p.m.
Hi Olof, Hi Kevin, Hi Arnd,

Please consider these Renesas ARM64 based SoC defconfig updates for v4.21.


The following changes since commit 651022382c7f8da46cb4872a545ee1da6d097d2a:

  Linux 4.20-rc1 (2018-11-04 15:37:52 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git tags/renesas-arm64-defconfig-for-v4.21

for you to fetch changes up to fe16bcd6d44f1a2bccc4618119463d9d23a6ae92:

  arm64: defconfig: Enable CONFIG_PHY_RCAR_GEN3_PCIE (2018-11-16 06:56:49 -0800)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Renesas ARM64 Based SoC Defconfig Updates for v4.21

* Enable in arm64 defconfig:
  - Renesas R-Car Gen3 PCIe PHY driver
  - Renesas R-Car thermal driver
  - ASoC simple SCU sound card support

----------------------------------------------------------------
Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
      arm64: defconfig: Enable CONFIG_PHY_RCAR_GEN3_PCIE

Simon Horman (2):
      arm64: defconfig: Enable R-Car thermal driver
      arm64: defconfig: Enable scu-simple-card driver

 arch/arm64/configs/defconfig | 3 +++
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+)
Olof Johansson - Dec. 12, 2018, 9:42 p.m.
Hi Simon,

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 01:57:02PM -0800, Simon Horman wrote:
> Hi Olof, Hi Kevin, Hi Arnd,
> 
> Please consider these Renesas ARM64 based SoC defconfig updates for v4.21.
> 
> 
> The following changes since commit 651022382c7f8da46cb4872a545ee1da6d097d2a:
> 
>   Linux 4.20-rc1 (2018-11-04 15:37:52 -0800)
> 
> are available in the git repository at:
> 
>   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git tags/renesas-arm64-defconfig-for-v4.21
> 
> for you to fetch changes up to fe16bcd6d44f1a2bccc4618119463d9d23a6ae92:
> 
>   arm64: defconfig: Enable CONFIG_PHY_RCAR_GEN3_PCIE (2018-11-16 06:56:49 -0800)
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Renesas ARM64 Based SoC Defconfig Updates for v4.21
> 
> * Enable in arm64 defconfig:
>   - Renesas R-Car Gen3 PCIe PHY driver
>   - Renesas R-Car thermal driver
>   - ASoC simple SCU sound card support
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
>       arm64: defconfig: Enable CONFIG_PHY_RCAR_GEN3_PCIE
> 
> Simon Horman (2):
>       arm64: defconfig: Enable R-Car thermal driver
>       arm64: defconfig: Enable scu-simple-card driver

This patch enables the sound driver as a built-in. We normally try to keep all
non-critical drivers (i.e. drivers not needed to reach a rootfs) as modules to
avoid the defconfig kernel from bloating up too much.

Would you mind respinning this with the sound driver as a module instead?

For PCIe I can see the argument that you might have rootfs on nvme or otherwise
attached to that bus, so static there is fine.


Thanks!


-Olof
Simon Horman - Dec. 13, 2018, 12:56 p.m.
On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 01:42:30PM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> Hi Simon,
> 
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 01:57:02PM -0800, Simon Horman wrote:
> > Hi Olof, Hi Kevin, Hi Arnd,
> > 
> > Please consider these Renesas ARM64 based SoC defconfig updates for v4.21.
> > 
> > 
> > The following changes since commit 651022382c7f8da46cb4872a545ee1da6d097d2a:
> > 
> >   Linux 4.20-rc1 (2018-11-04 15:37:52 -0800)
> > 
> > are available in the git repository at:
> > 
> >   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git tags/renesas-arm64-defconfig-for-v4.21
> > 
> > for you to fetch changes up to fe16bcd6d44f1a2bccc4618119463d9d23a6ae92:
> > 
> >   arm64: defconfig: Enable CONFIG_PHY_RCAR_GEN3_PCIE (2018-11-16 06:56:49 -0800)
> > 
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > Renesas ARM64 Based SoC Defconfig Updates for v4.21
> > 
> > * Enable in arm64 defconfig:
> >   - Renesas R-Car Gen3 PCIe PHY driver
> >   - Renesas R-Car thermal driver
> >   - ASoC simple SCU sound card support
> > 
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
> >       arm64: defconfig: Enable CONFIG_PHY_RCAR_GEN3_PCIE
> > 
> > Simon Horman (2):
> >       arm64: defconfig: Enable R-Car thermal driver
> >       arm64: defconfig: Enable scu-simple-card driver
> 
> This patch enables the sound driver as a built-in. We normally try to keep all
> non-critical drivers (i.e. drivers not needed to reach a rootfs) as modules to
> avoid the defconfig kernel from bloating up too much.
> 
> Would you mind respinning this with the sound driver as a module instead?

Sure, will do.

> For PCIe I can see the argument that you might have rootfs on nvme or otherwise
> attached to that bus, so static there is fine.
> 
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> 
> -Olof
>